Location: Raleigh, NC
Progress North Carolina (PNC) and its sister organization, Progress North Carolina Action (PNCA), are multi-issue advocacy organizations. We are focused on communicating a progressive vision and policy options across North Carolina. We make sure progressive viewpoints are seen, heard, and read in the news media across NC and online via email, social media, and on the web. We make sure public officials are held accountable for their policy choices and that the people who are impacted by these choices are heard.
We are searching for a dynamic leader to serve as the Executive Director of PNC/PNCA. The Executive Director will be responsible for developing a team that centers values like equity in both the development and delivery of work product. This will include creating a vision and plan for the organization to do this, building a largely new team to deliver it and managing its operations. Ideal candidates will be seeking fulfilling employment in a complex environment with both day-to-day and long-term demands and a real opportunity to make lasting, progressive change in North Carolina.
Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Organizational Development
- Direct all aspects of the organization, including overseeing areas of research, program development, message development, media relations, social media, and communications.
- Recruit, manage and develop a strong team of staff and contractors, paying careful attention to team dynamics and organizational culture.
- Ensure that the Boards of Directors are supported to operate effectively, including developing reports for them, and coordinating and facilitating PNCA and PNC Board meetings.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure the long-term sustainability of the organization.
- Ensure that the organization has an unimpeachable foundation, including working with legal counsel to ensure that the organization is legally compliant, and maintaining all needed records and documents.
- Oversee financial operations, including budgeting, payroll and tax preparation.
Communications Strategy and Program
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the organization to ensure we reach our objectives.
- Serve as the organization's primary public spokesperson for members of the media.
- Develop cutting-edge communications strategies for both issue advocacy and electoral campaigns and execute these strategies, including social media, digital advertising and engagement, and traditional earned media such as drafting press releases, pitching stories, developing and writing editorials, maintaining a media database, and cultivating media contacts.
- Shape those earned and paid media strategies in ways that amplify the stories of people most impacted in accountable relationships with partners.
Coalition Engagement and Leadership
- Build relationships rooted in trust and alignment with our membership and coalitions.
- Provide strategic leadership to the progressive movement in communications strategy and best practices, including staying up to date on new tools and tactics and providing trainings to build communications expertise and capacity in the state.
- Participate in the leadership of North Carolina’s independent expenditure infrastructure.
Strong candidates can demonstrate the following approach to the work:
- Thoughtful, strategic leadership combined with the energy to do the day-to-day work of program delivery;
- Commitment to progressive, inclusive leadership, and belief that values-driven work that is accountable to impacted communities is a strategic imperative for progressives;
- Management style that prioritizes the continuous development of staff towards fulfilling their full potential and long-term staff capacity building of the progressive movement;
- Highly relational, with a strong belief in the importance of relationship-building for success, both internally and externally;
- Tenacious and flexible, with a “getting to a yes” attitude and a propensity for working through roadblocks and achieving your goals;
- Openness to an environment of innovation and giving and receiving feedback for continuous learning, evolution, and improvement – committed to building your own skills as well as building the skills and capacity of your colleagues;
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, social, economic and gender justice; and
- Commitment to a team approach - recognizing when to step into leadership and when to step back and defer to others with experience and skills.
Strong candidates will have the following experience and skills:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in political or advocacy work, and significant experience in campaign communications, including generating earned media coverage;
- Experience with managing significant paid digital programs from development to delivery;
- Exceptional management ability with demonstrated success in recruiting and managing a diverse team of people to achieve ambitious results;
- Demonstrated skill in building strong relationships, including with staff, funders, and external allies and partners;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including public speaking;
- Understanding of how earned and paid media can work together and experience building and implementing campaign communications plans in one or both areas of media;
- Ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and to keep track of details in a fast-paced campaign environment; and
- Willingness to travel, and ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Exceptional candidates will also have:
- Knowledge of North Carolina’s political and progressive landscape;
- Experience with fundraising and making direct asks, ideally including asks of individual major donors;
- Experience developing and managing a board; and
- Some knowledge of 501c3s, 501c4s, 527s and PACs.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $100,000 depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance (100% employer paid for employee; 50% employer paid for dependents) and paid time off that includes nine holidays, 10 vacation days, five personal days and six sick days per year.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include Executive Director in the subject heading.
This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, or disability. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.