Location: Raleigh, NC
Progress North Carolina (PNC) and its sister organization, Progress North Carolina Action (PNCA), are multi-issue advocacy organizations. We are focused on communicating a progressive vision and policy options across North Carolina. We make sure progressive viewpoints are seen, heard, and read in the news media across NC and online via email, social media, and on the web. We make sure public officials are held accountable for their policy choices and that the people who are impacted by these choices are heard.
Progress North Carolina / Progress NC Action seeks an innovative and dedicated communicator to serve as Communications Director in a non-profit communications organization focused on promoting progressive values and issues and holding public officials accountable in North Carolina state government. The Communications Director will be responsible for building relationships with the North Carolina press corps, representing Progress NC as a spokesperson, crafting new narratives and working with digital organizers to create holistic strategies that encompass both traditional and new media.
Duties will include:
- Working with digital communications team to build integrated earned and digital media strategies
- Craft innovative, value-based messaging
- Work with impacted communities to create first person narratives to further advocacy goals and campaigns
- Write media content; including advisories, releases, op-eds, and letters to the editor
- Place stories in local, statewide, and national outlets
- Offer messaging and messenger trainings to partners and community leaders
- Assist with planning and organizing in-person earned media events
- Track Progress NC and allied organizations’ presence in the media
Strong candidates can demonstrate the following approach to the work:
- An ability to envision a new and more equitable world
- Be team players, who are dedicated to the success of the mission as a whole
- Be passionate, curious, and knowledgeable about progressive policies and causes
- Be hard-working self-starters who are able to manage multiple projects
- Have strong verbal communications skills and a demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
Ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Experience creating messaging for political or advocacy campaigns
- Experience working with members of the traditional media, being interviewed on camera, and serving as a spokesperson for an organization or campaign
- Familiarity with North Carolina’s political media landscape
- Understanding of digital organizing tools
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000 depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance (100% employer paid for employee; 50% employer paid for dependents) and paid time off that includes nine holidays, 10 vacation days, five personal days and six sick days per year.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Communications Director in the subject heading.
This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, or disability. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.