Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Progress North Carolina (PNC) and its sister organization, Progress North Carolina Action (PNCA), serve as North Carolina’s progressive communications hub. We operate as a center for innovative research, data-driven messaging, training, and communication strategies for the progressive community and its elected allies in order to shift the narrative around good governance and reshape what is possible by advocating for progressive policies, leaders and civil servants ready to serve North Carolinians.
PNC & PNCA seeks a dedicated, innovative, and adaptable team player to monitor national messaging trends, design public opinion research plans, and create an actionable messaging strategy for the civic engagement, issue advocacy and electoral programs of North Carolina’s progressive ecosystem. Working with our existing research and communications teams, the Messaging Director will create narrative-shifting messaging, such as a vision of social unity that combats our opposition’s divide and conquer strategy. This new position will require the ability to create long-term plans, and the fortitude to adapt when obstacles arise. We are looking for a person who is low on ego, with a full awareness of the impacts of our work.
Duties will include:
- Prioritize and project manage public opinion research plans (including polling, focus groups, online panels, ethnographic research, etc.) to inform strategy and message development for diverse audiences and messengers, working closely with public opinion research firms and consultants.
- Work with national and North Carolina partners to identify innovative, adaptable ways of measuring public opinion.
- Work with the organization’s research, communications, and digital teams to create best practices for message creation and delivery, which will include opposition research and testing.
- Based on findings from our research, polling, reports from the ground, and testing, provide big picture narrative frames and short-term political messaging guidance.
Strong candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Deep understanding of the tools of quantitative and qualitative research, with a commitment to interrogating and improving best practices.
- Experience creating messaging for political or advocacy campaigns.
- Experience working with broad and diverse coalitions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Ideal candidates will have some or all of the following:
- Experience in project management; including planning, budgeting, and working with team members, stakeholders, and consultants.
- An understanding of political field programs and accompanying tools such as VAN and Catalist.
- An understanding of North Carolina as a microcosm of the country -- multiracial, urban and rural, and rapidly growing.
The annual salary for this position is $80,000. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance (100% employer paid for employee; 50% employer paid for dependents) and paid time off that includes nine holidays, 10 vacation days, five personal days and six sick days per year.
How to Apply:
This organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization is our greatest advantage, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace, where all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, or disability. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.