North Carolina’s junior U.S. Senator Thom Tillis is one of the most vulnerable Senate Republicans up for re-election in 2020. Tillis will have a primary challenger in Raleigh business owner Garland Tucker, as Tillis tries to claim he is both moderate and a Republican loyal to hard-right principles.
- Any claim of Thom Tillis as a moderate is ridiculous. Tillis has voted against the Affordable Care Act every chance he could. Tillis voted to strip coverage for pre-existing conditions and end the ability of children to get covered on their parents’ health plans until age 26.
- When it’s mattered, Tillis has been nothing but a stooge for Donald Trump. The Washington Post noted Tillis’ “remarkable flip-flop” after Tillis wrote an op-ed claiming he would not support Trump’s bogus emergency declaration to build a border wall. Tillis then completely contradicted his own op-ed when he turned around and voted FOR Trump’s ridiculous emergency declaration
- Tillis was recently praised by a conservative gay rights group as a “pro-LGBTQ Republican,” but the label is ridiculous.
- Tillis supported Amendment One – the last state amendment in the nation to ban same-sex marriage.
- As House Speaker, Tillis hired lawyers to defend Amendment One after experts said it was dead in the courts.
- Tillis was out of the state legislature when state lawmakers passed the HB2 “bathroom bill.” But Tillis barely criticized HB2, even after it led the NBA to cancel the All-Star Game in Charlotte, entertainers to cancel performances, and companies to retract job expansions.
- Right-wing blogs continue to hammer Tillis as a creature of the DC swamp.
- In addition, Tillis primary challenger Garland Tucker, friends of U.S. Rep. Mark Walker are also circulating rolling that shows Tillis is very vulnerable in a GOP primary election.