Tillis in a Panic as a GOP Civil War and “Circle of Death” Brews on Dark Side of Moon
North Carolina’s junior U.S. Senator Thom Tillis is one of the most vulnerable Senate Republicans up for re-election in 2020. Tillis will have a primary challenger in Raleigh business owner Garland Tucker, as Tillis tries to claim he is both moderate and a Republican loyal to hard-right principles.
- Any claim of Thom Tillis as a moderate is ridiculous. Tillis has voted against the Affordable Care Act every chance he could. Tillis voted to strip coverage for pre-existing conditions and end the ability of children to get covered on their parents’ health plans until age 26.
- When it’s mattered, Tillis has been nothing but a stooge for Donald Trump. The Washington Post noted Tillis’ “remarkable flip-flop” after Tillis wrote an op-ed claiming he would not support Trump’s bogus emergency declaration to build a border wall. Tillis then completely contradicted his own op-ed when he turned around and voted FOR Trump’s ridiculous emergency declaration
- Tillis was recently praised by a conservative gay rights group as a “pro-LGBTQ Republican,” but the label is ridiculous.
- Tillis supported Amendment One – the last state amendment in the nation to ban same-sex marriage.
- As House Speaker, Tillis hired lawyers to defend Amendment One after experts said it was dead in the courts.
- Tillis was out of the state legislature when state lawmakers passed the HB2 “bathroom bill.” But Tillis barely criticized HB2, even after it led the NBA to cancel the All-Star Game in Charlotte, entertainers to cancel performances, and companies to retract job expansions.
- Right-wing blogs continue to hammer Tillis as a creature of the DC swamp.
- In addition, Tillis primary challenger Garland Tucker, friends of U.S. Rep. Mark Walker are also circulating rolling that shows Tillis is very vulnerable in a GOP primary election.