As nation mourns recent mass shooting, Lt. Governor Mark Robinson sides with pro-gun rhetoric
On the heels of horrific mass shootings in Buffalo, New York, Laguna Woods, California and Uvalde, Texas, North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson attended the NRA annual convention as a keynote speaker.
Despite North Carolinians demanding accountability, Robinson was among several extremist Republicans touting pro-gun rhetoric just days after 19 children and two adults were killed in the 27th school shooting this year.
Not only did Robinson’s NRA appearance make headlines, but a sermon Robinson gave just less than 24 hours after the mass shooting at a grocery store in Buffalo, New York that killed 10 people is drawing criticism.
- In the clip, Robinson told churchgoers that he owns AR-15 rifles – a gun that has repeatedly been used in mass shootings, including in Buffalo and Uvalde – stating, “I got them AR-15s in case the government gets too big for its britches. Because I’m going to fill the backside of those britches with some lead. I’m going to say it to you plain: Your boy ain’t going down without swinging.”
- Several leaders, including North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper and Attorney General Josh Stein, have condemned Robinson’s alarming speech, calling it “dangerous”.
- “An elected official advocating violent overthrow of our government shames NC and puts our safety and our democracy at risk,” stated Gov. Cooper in a tweet.
- “Robinson’s statement is incredibly dangerous,” stated AG Josh Stein in his tweet. “To say that you have an AR-15 to shoot government officials is simply unacceptable. We need leaders who are focused on serving the public, not pushing pretend culture wars. We are better than this.”
Robinson’s speech rings eerily similar to the rhetoric that fueled the January 6 attack on our country, which was an attempt by Trump-extremists to overthrow the government and undermine the will of the people.
In the wake of several tragedies and a country still mourning, Robinson has chosen, like many other extremist Republicans, to spout Trump-like divisive rhetoric in favor of their wealthy lobbyists and to gain power.
This recent rhetoric and actions by Robinson add to a growing list of examples of incompetency. As one editorial puts it, “How low can Robinson go?”
Take Action Now:
- Call Senator Richard Burr at (202) 224-3154, and Senator Thom Tillis at (202) 224-6342 to demand gun safety legislation.