Most Americans want stricter gun laws. Republican politicians don’t seem to care
Tuesday, May 24 marked the 144th day of 2022, and there have been 214 recorded mass shootings this year alone.
A shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, that killed 19 children and two adults, marked the 27th school shooting this year. Following just 10 days after a shooting at a Tops supermarket in Buffalo, New York, that took the lives of 10 people.
Sandy Hook. Santa Fe High. El Paso. Laguna Woods. Time after time, communities have demanded stronger, sensible gun laws to reduce easy access to dangerous weapons, yet right-wing lawmakers continue to safeguard their wealthy donors by voting against gun restrictions.
From our freedom to vote to our freedom to decide how we grow our families, from our children’s freedom to learn to everyone’s freedom from gun violence, right-wing lawmakers have repeatedly blocked policies we all want.
- According to the poll from Morning Consult and Politico, a majority of Americans want elected leaders to pass stricter gun control laws.
- A poll from Navigator found that seven in ten Americans surveyed view gun violence and mass shootings as a crisis or major issue.
- Despite public support for stricter gun laws, Republicans have stalled on voting for measures such as H.R. 8 — the Bipartisan Background Checks Act, which would require a background check for all gun sales.
- Recently, Senate Republicans blocked the Domestic Terrorism Prevention Act, which would have created new federal offices focused on domestic terrorism.
Communities, activists and leaders, like North Carolina’s Governor Roy Cooper, have called on Republican leaders across the country, and in North Carolina, to come to the table and pass sensible gun laws.
“We cannot forget this tragedy when it fades from the news. We cannot normalize the mass murder of children. We cannot wait any longer. It has to stop,” stated Gov. Roy Cooper.
In the past few years, we have witnessed Republican politicians voting to block everything that our families need to stay healthy and safe, for our children to receive a quality education and make it back home at the end of the school day.
No more families should have to endure the loss of their loved ones to preventable gun violence. With numerous pieces of legislation drafted by Democratic leaders to enact stricter gun laws, we have the ability to ensure they never happen again.
It is up to Republicans lawmakers whether they will continue to unravel our rights to please the wealthy lobbyists and gain power, or listen to their constituents and pass gun reform measures.
Take Action Now:
- Call Senator Richard Burr at (202) 224-3154, and Senator Thom Tillis at (202) 224-6342 to demand gun safety legislation.
- Support North Carolinians Against Gun Violence and Moms Demand Action, Everytown for Gun Safety.
Sign the petition to demand Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson cancel his appearance at the NRA convention this weekend.